Translation in process
We're updating the page. There might be some translation errors. Sorry about that ;-)
- Calappa calappa
- Große Schamkrabbe, Rot Gepunktete Schamkrabbe
- Giant Box crab,Shame-faced crab,
- Family tree:
- Animalia (Kingdom) > Arthropoda (Phylum) > Malacostraca (Class) > Decapoda (Order) > Calappidae (Family) > Calappa (Genus) > calappa (Species)
- Initial determination:
- (Linnaeus, 1758)
- Tansania, Mozambique, Marquesas Islands, Andamanhavet, Filippinerne, Hawaii, Indiske ocean, Indonesien, Japan, Mauritius , Ny Kaledonien, Palau, Papua NeuGuinea , Seychellerne, Sydlige Stillehav, Taiwan
- Sea depth:
- 1 - 80 Meter
- bis zu 15cm
- 22°C - 28°C
- Carrion, Muslinger
- There are no reports available yet that this animal has already been kept in captivity successfully
- Red List:
- Not evaluated (NE)
- Related species at
Catalog of Life:
- More related species
in this lexicon:
- Meerwasser-Lexikon Team
- 2010-06-02 19:15:22
- 2017-03-22 19:57:43
, also known as the smooth or red-spotted or giant box crab, can be found in the tropical Indo-Pacific.
Pattern and colour are highly variable.It is a nocturnal crab and is able, when threatened, to swiftly burrow beneath the sand. It feeds mainly on mollusks such as clams.
Biota > Animalia (Kingdom) > Arthropoda (Phylum) > Crustacea (Subphylum) > Multicrustacea (Superclass) > Malacostraca (Class) > Eumalacostraca (Subclass) > Eucarida (Superorder) > Decapoda (Order) > Pleocyemata (Suborder) > Brachyura (Infraorder) > Eubrachyura (Section) > Heterotremata (Subsection) > Calappoidea (Superfamily) > Calappidae (Family) > Calappa (Genus) > Calappa calappa
Husbandry know-how of owners
0 husbandary tips from our users available
Hvad er det?
The following is an overview of "what's that?" Entries that have been successfully determined and assigned to this entry. A look at the entertainments there is certainly interesting.